Math Differentiation

Math Differentiation

I have tried many different ways to set up my math block so that instruction time is utilized well and I am able to differentiate for a variety of levels. I have done Math Centers, Math Stations, and Math Daily 3 to see what works for me. What I have found to work the best is a combination between Math Stations and Math Daily 3. I structure my time where I teach three small mini-lessons in an 80-minute block. In between those three mini-lessons are a combination of math stations and math daily 3. I say it is a combination of the two because math stations focuses on having a variety of games for a group to play with and practice multiple times. Math Daily 3 focuses on math by myself, math with someone, and math writing. I have incorporated these activities into my math workstations so students are getting all three ways to practice. The cen

Mini-Lesson #1: Main Lesson introducing the new skill. This is where I model how to do it. Then I practice it with the students.

Math Stations/Math Daily 3: Students then get into their groups that I assigned. These groups are mixed ability groups. Students are working on math by myself, math with someone, and math writing. Each of the three activities is organized with a variety of activities for students to choose from. They are all activities that they have done with me or similar to a game they have done with me. Usually there is no confusion on how to play the game. During this time I call back a group of students who seemed to struggle with the first Mini-lesson when we were practicing together. I then reteach the lesson with them in a small group.

Mini-Lesson #2: The lesson is practiced with the students again. Then they try some problems with a partner. After the students are finished I check their work and they go to the second round of math stations/math daily 3.

Math Stations/Math Daily 3: Students get into the groups they were assigned to and work on a different math daily 3.  I work with partner groups who struggled with the skill and reteach.


Mini-Lesson #3: I review the skill that was taught again with a few more problems. Students are given a short assessment so I can see who understood the skill and who didn’t. If there is time students can do another round of math daily 3. If there is not enough time, I collect the assessment and go over it with them later in the day or the next day. I try to give them feedback as soon as possible.


Check out my math stations that I use to differentiate. I have grades K-3. I use a variety of grade levels depending on the standards and skills students are struggling with. 











No comments

Back to Top